Classic Silkmen : Wrexham (H) 2017-18

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Mon 23 Jul 2018

We have enjoyed many captivating battles with Wrexham over the years – none more so than when The Red Dragons last visited the Moss Rose last December. 

The match was in a great deal of doubt due to heavy snow falling the previous evening, yet an army of volunteers defiantly battled against the elements to ensure that the game went ahead. 

The hosts started the game in the ascendancy and would take the lead after 8 minutes when Tyrone Marsh played Scott Wilson through on goal and he fired across Chris Dunn into the far corner of the net. 

This catalysed the visitors into a period of concerted pressure, as they looked to restore parity in the quickest time possible. 

Yet the Silkmen defence nullified the threat with consummate professionalism, as the snow began to fall once more. 

Marsh and Wilson then spurned opportunities to double Macc's lead, but the main concern at this point was whether or not the game could continue. 

Visibility was clearly being hampered by the inclement weather and this left many of the Silkmen faithful wondering if the match would reach half-time – let alone a conclusion! 

Ryan Lloyd then hit a thirty yard screamer which sailed marginally over Dunn's crossbar and this was followed by Scott Burgess' low drive being cleared off the line by Manny Smith on 22 minutes. 

The visitors did enjoy another spell of dominance towards the end of the first period, yet 'keeper Shwan Jalal remained largely untroubled as John Askey's side marched in for the interval. 

Macc returned for the second half full of renewed vigour and determination. Within sixty seconds of the restart Scott Wilson broke free down the right hand side, before seeing his tantalising cross evade the incoming Ryan Lloyd by the smallest of margins. 

Wave after wave of Silkmen pressure ensued, as they looked to strike the killer blow in what was developing into an intriguing encounter. 

Scott Burgess rattled Chris Dunn's crossbar on 69 minutes with an audacious half volley which left the Moss Rose crowd holding their breaths and sixty seconds later, Scott Wilson was unlucky to see his low drive from the right fly just wide of the near post. 

Despite a copious amount of pressure being administered by the home side, Wrexham would equalise largely against the run of play on 72 minutes. 

Former Silkman Scott Boden latched on to a cross from the right to powerfully head home in front of the adoring visiting contingent. 

Six minutes later our lead was restored with what proved to be a replica of the first goal – Tyrone Marsh released Wilson and he majestically fired across the face of goal and into the far corner. 

Just three minutes later Wilson would claim the match ball, as Danny Whitehead's ferocious drive could only be parried by Dunn and the former Eastleigh striker was on hand to give Macc a two goal cushion. 

With the snow rendering the pitch markings obsolete, the Referee then instructed volunteers onto the pitch to clear the lines. 

This was greeted with much humour as even Santa Claus himself made his way onto the pitch to ensure that the game could be played to a conclusion. 

A total of eight minutes was added by the Fourth Official at the end of the game and after two of these, the home side bagged their forth. 

Danny Whitaker pulled the ball back to David Fitzpatrick from a left hand corner, before the defender emphatically fired past Dunn from fifteen yards. 

The win sent The Silkmen two points clear at the top of the National League and was undeniably one of the standout performances of our epic title-winning campaign. 

Macclesfield Town: Jalal, Hodgkiss, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Kennedy, Marsh, Wilson, Lloyd, Whitehead, Burgess, Whitaker 

Subs not used: Ramsbottom, Baba, Hancox, Arthur 

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube